Jamaican-Style Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add beef and brown on all sides.
- 2. Stir in the vegetables, broth, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice or potatoes if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice or potatoes) equals 282 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 866 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.