- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Stir in the vegetables, broth, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice or potatoes if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Jamaican-Style Beef Stew
Sort By :
"I decided try this beef stew, because my usual beef stew recipe is much too high in calories, but I miss it when trying to lose weight. While I still like my old recipe, this one, in some ways, is better, even though it is very different. This is a recipe to reuse. While another person suggested the seasonings like the BBQ sauce and the steak sauce were not necessary, I thought they added a lot.The only drawback to this is smelling it while it cooks and you are hungry. It is sort of like torture to smell it and not be able to eat it because it needs to cook longer! If you can put up with that, it will not disappoint."
"My husband and adult son love this. I prepared everything the night before and put it in the slow cooker 8 hrs on low. It was wonderful!! To save time I used baby carrots. Also added just a little powdered Jamaican jerk seasoning to kick it up a knotch."
"This was outstanding! We substituted lean stew meat and I left out the steak sauce because we had none and doubled the spice. We rarely eat red meat but this recipe will have us coming back again and again."
"I was looking for a recipe with a different flavor and WOW!! OMG did I ever find it. It is a great cold weather dish. I will definitely make this dish again!"
"This is similar to how I have been making my stew beef...but I use short ribs instead, and dice potatoes and make spinners to cook down in the stew, and finally, instead of hot pepper sauce, I use a scotch bonnet pepper for better flavour. I don't use beef broth or corn starch or bbq sauce or steak sauce...not necessary."