Jamaican Ham and Bean Soup Recipe
"Island vacation in a bowl” might be the best way to describe this hearty soup. A splash of lime juice and a hint of jerk seasoning add tropical taste. —Mary Lou Timpson, Colorado City, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:7 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vegetarian refried beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (7 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- Sour cream and lime slices
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the ham, refried beans, broth, corn, chilies, salsa and jerk seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in the olives and lime juice; heat through. Garnish servings with sour cream and lime slices. Yield: 7 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without garnishes) equals 312 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 2,211 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC