Jamaican Ham and Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vegetarian refried beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (7 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- Sour cream and lime slices
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the ham, refried beans, broth, corn, chilies, salsa and jerk seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in the olives and lime juice; heat through. Garnish servings with sour cream and lime slices. Yield: 7 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without garnishes) equals 312 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 2,211 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Reviews for Jamaican Ham and Bean Soup
"Really different from the plain ham and corn soups."
"Surprisingly good flavor! I didn't have Caribbean jerk seasoning, so I used Weber's N'Orleans Cajun, which I'm sure changed the flavor completely, but I loved it."
"This was a good recipe and well worth it for someone to try. We simply decided we have another similar recipe we enjoyed more."
"My 3 boys and I loved this soup - quick and easy on a cold night!"
"The refried beans gave the broth a weird texture."
"I used less lime than the recipe called for but it was still tooooo much. I could not even taste the Jerk. The sour cream did cut it but it was still JUST okay."
"Loved this soup!! Made it exactly by the recipe and it turned out delicious!! Loved just opening all the cans!! Very easy and super good! Will definitely be making again and sharing this recipe!!"
"Soooooo delicious (and easy)!"