- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vegetarian refried beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (7 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- Sour cream and lime slices
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the ham, refried beans, broth, corn, chilies, salsa and jerk seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the olives and lime juice; heat through. Garnish servings with sour cream and lime slices. Yield: 7 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Jamaican Ham and Bean Soup
Sort By :
Surprisingly good flavor! I didn't have Caribbean jerk seasoning, so I used Weber's N'Orleans Cajun, which I'm sure changed the flavor completely, but I loved it.
This was a good recipe and well worth it for someone to try. We simply decided we have another similar recipe we enjoyed more.
My 3 boys and I loved this soup - quick and easy on a cold night!
The refried beans gave the broth a weird texture.
I used less lime than the recipe called for but it was still tooooo much. I could not even taste the Jerk. The sour cream did cut it but it was still JUST okay.