Jamaican Barbecue Sauce Recipe
"Since visiting Jamaica, I've become a big fan of jerk chicken and fish," writes Lee Ann Odell from Boulder, Colorado. "I came up with my own version of that zesty island flavoring especially for this contest. It's a great sauce for ribs, whether you're grilling them or making them in the oven. It makes me feel like I'm on vacation!"
- 1 bacon strip, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Discard bacon or save for another use. In the drippings, saute the onions and jalapeno until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 cups.
2 tablespoons equals 61 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 450 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC