“I taste the sauce about 30 minutes before the chicken is done and adjust the seasonings to taste. You can thicken it with a tablespoon of cornstarch, if you wish.” —Mary Louise Lever, Rome, Georgia
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- Hot cooked rice
- Place potatoes in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water chestnuts and cranberries. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; add pineapple to slow cooker. Top with chicken. Sprinkle jerk seasoning over chicken.
- Combine the onion, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, lime peel, cumin seeds and reserved juice. Pour over the chicken. Top with thyme sprigs.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken Tropicale in Taste of Home August/September 2010, p57
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken Tropicale
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review