- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup apricot or red raspberry preserves
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place coconut in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and water. Shape cookie dough into 1-in. balls; dip tops in egg mixture, then in coconut, pressing slightly to adhere. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets, coconut side up.
- Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Fill with preserves.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. If desired, dust tops with confectioner's sugar. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Sort By :
My mom, little sister and I make these often. They're also great because I have an egg allergy and we just omit the egg wash for my few! My grandpa raves about these cookies when we make them for him and my grandma loves that her house smells like a bakery for the rest of the day.
they were good. I didn't put them in the fridge since the dough was already workable. by the end it was too crumbly though and difficult to work with. I also only baked them for 10 minutes. they are too small for longer temperature.
I could not make these cookies. The batter just crumbled and was worse after the 30 min. in the fridge. What did I do wrong? It appears that it needs more liquid. There was not a chance to roll it into a ball, it just crumbled into a million little crumbs. Help! Thanks, Joanne
These cookies were excellent! I made my batch with raspberry preserves. I made an error following the recipe, I dipped the whole cookie in the egg & water and rolled the whole cookie in the coconut-instead of just the tops. We're coconut fans so it wasn't a problem & I think it even added to the already great recipe! I will definitely make these again.