When I was four, Mom and I would don our aprons and I would pretend we were bakers named Marge and Betty. Though we dropped that routine, we still make Christmas cookies together every year. —Rebecca Little, Park Ridge, Illinois
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup apricot or red raspberry preserves
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in enough flour to form a smooth dough.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place coconut in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and water. Shape cookie dough into 1-in. balls; dip tops in egg mixture, then in coconut, pressing slightly to adhere. Place 1-1/2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets, coconut side up.
- Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Fill with preserves.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. If desired, dust tops with confectioner's sugar. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Jam Thumbprint Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 2013
Reviews for Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review