Jalapeno-Pear Chutney Recipe
With tongue-tingling peppers, pears, tomatoes and more, this versatile chutney is a mouthful of flavor. Serve it alongside your favorite meat entree...as a sandwich spread...over cream cheese for an appetizer...or even with chips as a salsa-style dip.—Deb Thomson, Grand Island, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + simmering Process: 10 min. YIELD:20 servings
- 2 pounds pears, peeled and chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 5 half-pints.
1/4 cup equals 88 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC