Jalapeno Hush Puppies Recipe
Whenever we have a neighborhood fish fry, these hush puppies are part of the menu. They're crisp and golden with just a mild pepper flavor.—Mary K. Dixson, Decatur, Alabama
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, onion and jalapeno; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 3-1/2 to 4 dozen.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC