Jalapeno Hush Puppies Recipe
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, onion and jalapeno; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 3-1/2 to 4 dozen.
Reviews for Jalapeno Hush Puppies
"Following the last review's note, I put everything together except used 1/2 cup milk; needed to add about 3 tbsps more to make an ideal batter that stayed together when fried but wasn't too dry. They turned out fine, but were nothing special. We will keep looking for a "keeper" recipe."
"This produced a very light and crispy hushpuppy. The batter was a bit runny and hard to fry. Added more flour to help out the consistency. Add more jalapenos if you like them on the spicier side."
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.