Whenever we have a neighborhood fish fry, these hush puppies are part of the menu. They're crisp and golden with just a mild pepper flavor.—Mary K. Dixson, Decatur, Alabama
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, onion and jalapeno; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 3-1/2 to 4 dozen.
Originally published as Jalapeno Hush Puppies in Taste of Home February/March 2002, p48
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Jalapeno Hush Puppies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review