- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, onion and jalapeno; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 3-1/2 to 4 dozen.
This recipe pairs well with a sweet red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Fizz 56 Brachetto Italy N/V, sparkling and sweet with hints of raspberry and cherry. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Jalapeno Hush Puppies
Sort By :
Following the last review's note, I put everything together except used 1/2 cup milk; needed to add about 3 tbsps more to make an ideal batter that stayed together when fried but wasn't too dry. They turned out fine, but were nothing special. We will keep looking for a "keeper" recipe.
This produced a very light and crispy hushpuppy. The batter was a bit runny and hard to fry. Added more flour to help out the consistency. Add more jalapenos if you like them on the spicier side.