Hummus is an easy, tasty and nutritious snack or appetizer. Friends are often surprised at the uncommonly good taste and the jalapeno gives it a little kick. Serve with crackers, raw vegetables, or tortilla chips.Lisa Armstrong, Murray, Kentucky
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup roasted tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1 tablespoon juice from pickled jalapeno slices
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- Place first 11 ingredients in a food processor; cover and process
- until well blended. Garnish with paprika. Serve with assorted
- vegetables. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without vegetables) equals 153 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 182 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.