Jalapeno Cranberry Chutney Recipe
This crimson-colored chutney from our Test Kitchen staff makes a tongue-tingling Christmas gift. Serve it with crackers as an appetizer or with turkey or chicken as a condiment.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour YIELD:32 servings
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 2 medium lemons
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 6 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Grate the peel from the oranges and lemons; add to sugar mixture. Peel off and discard pith from oranges and lemons; chop pulp and add to sugar mixture. Stir in apple and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 2. Add 3 cups cranberries, raisins and apricots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining cranberries. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer.
- 3. Stir in walnuts. Serve warm or chilled. Pour into refrigerator or freezer containers. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 12 months. Yield: 4 pints.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC