Jalapeno Corn Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 1. In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and garlic powder. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a 1-qt. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake at 425° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
One serving (1 piece) equals 112 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 lean meat.