- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 3 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk flour and cornmeal. In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg substitute, 2 tablespoons oil, honey and mayonnaise. Pour remaining oil into an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; place skillet in oven 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in corn, cheese and peppers.
- Carefully tilt and rotate skillet to coat bottom with oil; add batter. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Jalapeno Buttermilk Corn Bread in Taste of Home February/March 2014
Reviews for Jalapeno Buttermilk Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 15, 2014
We love corn bread! Although I used a real egg, and didn't use any of the low-fat ingredients. This was great.