Jalapeno Buttermilk Corn Bread Recipe
If you’re from the South, you have to have a good corn bread recipe. Here’s a healthier version of my mom’s traditional corn bread. — Debi Mitchell, Flower Mound, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 3 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk flour and cornmeal. In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg substitute, 2 tablespoons oil, honey and mayonnaise. Pour remaining oil into an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; place skillet in oven 4 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in corn, cheese and peppers.
- 3. Carefully tilt and rotate skillet to coat bottom with oil; add batter. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 wedge equals 180 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 261 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC