- 4 pounds cucumbers, sliced
- 5 small onions, sliced
- 4 jalapeno peppers, sliced and seeded
- 1/2 cup canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large container, combine cucumbers, onions, jalapenos and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add cucumber mixture; return to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into seven hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 7 pints.
Reviews for Jalapeno Bread & Butter Pickles
"Is there any way of doing this recipe when your a diabetic? 5 cups of sugar?????"
"Looks great but I really don't want to can them. Is there any way to make these & refrigerate them? Even a smaller batch?"
"Easy to follow and great taste. These pickles didn't last a week! I tripled the jalapenos and added little red Thai peppers. Yummy."
"I haven't made them yet, but there is a mistake in the instructions. It does not tell you to slice the jalapenos, only seed them. In the picture it shows that they are sliced."
"When I am make this again I will be sure to rinse it better because it was so salty!! I know that was my fault for not rinsing the cucumbers better."
"Very easy! Great taste!"
"These pickles were awesome! The only thing I'd change next time would be to add more jalapenos and slice the cucumbers thicker. This was my first attempt at making pickles and I cut them a bit too thin."