Even the heat-shy will want to dip into these bread and butter pickles with a surprise flavor kick. Ay caramba, they are good!—Karen Owen, Rising Sun, Indiana
- 4 pounds cucumbers, sliced
- 5 small onions, sliced
- 4 jalapeno peppers, sliced and seeded
- 1/2 cup canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large container, combine cucumbers, onions, jalapenos and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add cucumber mixture; return to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into seven hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 7 pints.
Originally published as Jalapeno Bread & Butter Pickles in Country Woman August/September 2011, p48
Reviews for Jalapeno Bread & Butter Pickles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review