- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon strips (about 7 strips), cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and mustard. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in jalapenos and 3 cups cheese until cheese is melted.
- Reserve 1/4 cup crumbled bacon; stir remaining bacon into sauce.
- Drain macaroni and return to pot; stir in cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese and reserved bacon. Bake, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forJalapeno-Bacon Mac & Cheese
"Best mac and cheese recipe I've ever tried. I've been on the hunt for one I really love for years and this one is a keeper. It is so creamy and is great reheated as well. I was worried that the leftovers would become dry but they didn't."
"Here in Texas, everything is better with jalape?os and bacon. Great idea to add to ordinary mac & cheese. I substituted precooked bacon crumbles from Costco for the bacon strips. Just microwave briefly to crisp, then stir in. 4 stars instead of 5 because was really dry - probably because 'made it to take' a couple of hours before baking. I would recommend baking immediately or, if making a few hours ahead, save 1/2-1 cup of pasta water to stir into sauce since the macaroni will absorb more liquid before baking. Man-pleasing - even for breakfast the next morning (what can I say?)"
"I cut this recipe in half and baked it in a 8 by 8 glass baking dish. My husband thought the pickled jalape?os overpowered the dish."
"I love this macaroni and cheese- very tasty! And what a good looking cook."