- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each ) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add corn, onion and pepper; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in pumpkin, black beans and seasonings; heat through. Cool slightly.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry sheets. Cut 60 pumpkins with a 3-in. floured pumpkin-shaped or round cookie cutter, rerolling dough as necessary. Place half of the pumpkins 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets; top each with about 1 tablespoon pumpkin mixture. Using a knife, cut jack-o'-lantern faces or slits out of the remaining pastries. Place over the top of the pumpkin mixture; press edges with a fork to seal.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastries. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Jack-o'-Lantern Empanadas in Ultimate Halloween 2016
Reviews for Jack-o'-Lantern Empanadas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review