Italian Zucchini Recipe
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a greased 2-1/2-qt. casserole, layer on-third of the zucchini, onion and tomatoes. Squeeze one lemon quarter over all. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Repeat layers. Dot with butter. Squeeze remaining lemon over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine) equals 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat; also, 64 calories, 35 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 9 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 3 gm fat.
Reviews for Italian Zucchini
"Mixed reviews in our home. I liked this dish, though it needed salt. My husband hated it. He didn't care for the texture of the tomatoes, and thought the flavors did not work well together."
"I added fresh grated parmesan between the layers. Delicious!"
"This was wonderful...... I had only one zucchini so I used a yellow squash for the 2nd zucchini. And I always add ground pepper....... definitely a two-helping side..... or a main course with a salad!"
"Excellent low/no calorie side dish, fantastic flavors"