Italian Zucchini Recipe
I make this hot vegetable dish quite often in summer when zucchini is abundant. Garden-fresh sliced onion and tomato add a tasty touch.—Christopher Gordon, Springfield, Missouri
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a greased 2-1/2-qt. casserole, layer on-third of the zucchini, onion and tomatoes. Squeeze one lemon quarter over all. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Repeat layers. Dot with butter. Squeeze remaining lemon over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine) equals 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat; also, 64 calories, 35 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 9 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 3 gm fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC