- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups diced zucchini
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage with onion; drain excess fat. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and simmer 1 hour. Stir in zucchini and simmer 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews for Italian Zucchini Soup
"I had roma tomatoes on hand, not really juicy, but for the simmering part there was no liquid to simmer. Maybe it meant two cups of canned diced tomatoes? I added two cups of beef broth. I also cut the recipe in half."
"Fantastic, flavorful soup! I added black beans and cannellini beans and 2 cups chicken broth."
"This is an italian soup I grew up with we call it Jumbotha which means end of the garden or a jumble of ingredients. What ever was grown that year at the end of the season was thrown in. Hence the abundance of zucchini & tomatoes. We did not add meat then. But I do now at times especially small meatballs."
"Yummy! I used Hot Italian sausage, and added 2+Cups of chicken stock,, as somebody suggested. The Hot sausage made it quite hot, but once the zucchini was added, it tempered the heat a bit. Still spicy, though, but we like some heat. Froze some for winter meal. Will make again."
"Added white beans, baby bellas and diatelini pasta.... fabulous!"