- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups diced zucchini
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage with onion; drain excess fat. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and simmer 1 hour. Stir in zucchini and simmer 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews for Italian Zucchini Soup
Sort By :
"Fantastic, flavorful soup! I added black beans and cannellini beans."
"This is an italian soup I grew up with we call it Jumbotha which means end of the garden or a jumble of ingredients. What ever was grown that year at the end of the season was thrown in. Hence the abundance of zucchini & tomatoes. We did not add meat then. But I do now at times especially small meatballs."
"Yummy! I used Hot Italian sausage, and added 2+Cups of chicken stock,, as somebody suggested. The Hot sausage made it quite hot, but once the zucchini was added, it tempered the heat a bit. Still spicy, though, but we like some heat. Froze some for winter meal. Will make again."
"Added white beans, baby bellas and diatelini pasta.... fabulous!"
"Really good recipe. First time I made this recipe I substituted five pieces of smokey bacon for the sausage added two cups of chicken stock and one tablespoon of chili flakes. Sorry I also added three cups of Cannellini Beans to make up for the missing texture of the sausage. Great depth of flavours. Awesome soup and a great use of zucchini"