Italian Zucchini Casserole Recipe
Compliments crop us as fast as zucchini vines when folks sample this casserole. Even those who generally don't like zucchini find they enjoy it in this savory side dish. -Kimberly Speta, Kennedy, New York
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced (about 6-1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook zucchini in 1 tablespoon oil 5-6 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in zucchini.
- 2. Place in an greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with stuffing mix; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 174 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 576 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC