Compliments crop us as fast as zucchini vines when folks sample this casserole. Even those who generally don't like zucchini find they enjoy it in this savory side dish. -Kimberly Speta, Kennedy, New York
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced (about 6-1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook zucchini in 1 tablespoon oil 5-6 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in zucchini.
- Place in an greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with stuffing mix; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Zucchini Casserole in Taste of Home August/September 1996, p33
Reviews for Italian Zucchini Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review