Italian Zucchini Bake Recipe
- 3-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1. Place zucchini in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, egg substitute, bread crumbs, flour and Italian seasoning. Spread in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes.
- 3. In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until crisp-tender. Spread half of the pizza sauce over zucchini mixture; sprinkle with the mushrooms, green pepper, olives and half of the cheese. Top with remaining pizza sauce and cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 226 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.