Kids of all ages are sure to like this fun vegetarian spin on pizza! The recipe comes from Carol Mieske of Red Bluff, California. "You can't even tell there's zucchini in this dish," she notes. "If you have meat eaters in your family, try adding turkey pepperoni or sausage."
- 3-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- Place zucchini in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, egg substitute, bread crumbs, flour and Italian seasoning. Spread in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until crisp-tender. Spread half of the pizza sauce over zucchini mixture; sprinkle with the mushrooms, green pepper, olives and half of the cheese. Top with remaining pizza sauce and cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Zucchini Bake in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p55
Reviews for Italian Zucchini Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review