Italian Wedding Soup with Meatballs Recipe
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg white, bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Crumble pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery, parsnip and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, herbes de Provence, pepper flakes and pepper.
- 4. Drain meatballs on paper towels. Bring soup to a boil; add meatballs. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool. Transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator. Transfer to a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add orzo; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Add spinach; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Yield: 7 cups.
1 cup: 281 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat.