- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook ground beef and onions over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
Add cabbage, mixed vegetables, tomatoes, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender. Remove bay leaf.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews forItalian Veggie Beef Soup
"Very good tasting. Didn't take long to put together."
"This recipe was tasty and easy. I made a few changes for my family's tastes and what we had on hand. I only used 1 pound of beef, chicken broth instead of beef beef broth, and doubled the black pepper. This was a great way to use up half of a cabbage that I had in the fridge. While it tasted very good, I don't think I would go out of my way to make this recipe again, but I would certainly make it if I had the ingredients on hand."