Italian Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram, oregano and thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked bow tie pasta
- 6 cups torn escarole (about 1 small head)
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion and carrot in oil until tender. Stir in the water, beans, tomatoes, broth, wine and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta.
- 2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 13-15 minutes or until pasta is tender, adding escarole during last 3 minutes of cooking. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup equals 164 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 426 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.