Italian Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
As a pastor's wife, I never miss a church supper. This vegetable-beef soup is my family's favorite. It's also a big favorite with the First Baptist Church "family" here in Alton! Sometimes, I will stir up a kettleful of soup at our local campground, too—it tastes wonderful indoors or out.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup frozen or fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces, optional
- 1/2 cup small elbow macaroni
- Parmesan cheese
- 1. Brown beef in large heavy kettle; drain. Add all the ingredients except cabbage, green beans and macaroni. Bring to boil. Lower heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- 2. Add cabbage, green beans and macaroni; bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender. If you prefer a thinner soup, add additional water or broth. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1 protein, 1 bread; also 152 calories, 776 mg sodium, 34 mg cholesterol, 17 gm carbohydrate, 12 gm protein, 4 gm fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC