Italian Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup frozen or fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces, optional
- 1/2 cup small elbow macaroni
- Parmesan cheese
- 1. Brown beef in large heavy kettle; drain. Add all the ingredients except cabbage, green beans and macaroni. Bring to boil. Lower heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- 2. Add cabbage, green beans and macaroni; bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender. If you prefer a thinner soup, add additional water or broth. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup: 152 calories, 4g fat (0g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 776mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 12g protein
Reviews for Italian Vegetable Beef Soup
"Best vegetable soup recipe I've found! This will be a regular on our menu."
"Love this soup! I've been making it for my family and friends since the original publication in Country Woman back in 1989! A favorite go-to soup recipe."
"We enjoyed this---easy, tasty and nourishing."
"Easily a family favorite and hearty enough to be the main dish. I use black beans instead of kidney beans and leave out the macaroni. I also use french cut green beans."
"Excellent! My entire family loved it, even my picky 8 year old!"
"This recipe is wonderful and easy! I omitted the kidney beans (my family isn't a big fan of kindey beans) and added prepared cheese tortellini on one occasion. Either way, it's delicious!"
"I've made this many times - its a delicious soup that family and friends have enjoyed."