- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup frozen or fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces, optional
- 1/2 cup small elbow macaroni
- Parmesan cheese
- Brown beef in large heavy kettle; drain. Add all the ingredients except cabbage, green beans and macaroni. Bring to boil. Lower heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage, green beans and macaroni; bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender. If you prefer a thinner soup, add additional water or broth. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Italian Vegetable Beef Soup
"Best vegetable soup recipe I've found! This will be a regular on our menu."
"Love this soup! I've been making it for my family and friends since the original publication in Country Woman back in 1989! A favorite go-to soup recipe."
"We enjoyed this---easy, tasty and nourishing."
"Easily a family favorite and hearty enough to be the main dish. I use black beans instead of kidney beans and leave out the macaroni. I also use french cut green beans."
"Excellent! My entire family loved it, even my picky 8 year old!"