- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, turkey, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 3/4 cup turkey mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheeses. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Turkey Sloppy Joes in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010, p53
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Turkey Sloppy Joes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 25, 2011
These are so tasty! Yum!
Reviewed Feb. 6, 2011
Everyone really enjoyed this. Even my oh so finicky daughter.
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2010
Great tasting and good for yoy.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Turkey Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Sandwich Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >