“Everyone seems to love my take on sloppy joes. For a change, I often fix them with ground chicken instead of ground turkey and use fresh parsley and oregano.” Charlene Chambers - Ormond Beach, Florida
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, turkey, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 3/4 cup turkey mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheeses. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Turkey Sloppy Joes in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010, p53
Reviews for Italian Turkey Sloppy Joes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2015
"This is delicious! I didn't deviate from the recipe."
Reviewed Mar. 25, 2011
"These are so tasty! Yum!~ Theresa"
Reviewed Feb. 6, 2011
"Everyone really enjoyed this. Even my oh so finicky daughter."
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2010
"Great tasting and good for yoy."