- 1 bone-in turkey breast (6 pounds), skin removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 12 kaiser or hard rolls, split
- Place turkey breast in a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Add onion and green pepper.
- Combine the chili sauce, vinegar, oregano and bouillon; pour over turkey and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until turkey is tender.
Shred turkey with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each roll.
Freeze option: Place cooled meat and juice mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Italian Turkey Sandwiches
"I was disappointed that the turkey was not as flavorful as expected. I put it in the freezer in the hopes I can reinvent it in some way, but I really don't have any idea how. I would not make it again as written."
"Very very good!"
"I love slow cooker recipies. This one was a big hit with my family. I will definitely have to make this again."
"Absolutely delicious! I had a boneless turkey breast that was 3 lbs so I cut all ingredients in half and cooked on low fo 3 hours in my 4 quart crockpot. The meat turned out perfect. My family has already requested that I make it again."
"My husband and family loved these sandwiches. Wonderful flavor, hearty sandwich filling, moist turkey--overall a real winner. I served the shredded turkey with my homemade hamburger buns and we had a feast!"