Italian Turkey Burgers Recipe
- 1/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 8 slices Italian bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, warmed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four 3/4-in.-thick oval-shape patties.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill patties, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reaches 165° and juices run clear.
- 3. Place a patty on each of four slices of bread. Drizzle with spaghetti sauce; top with remaining bread. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with lean ground turkey) equals 306 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 680 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Italian Turkey Burgers
"I have been using this recipe for years, but I shape the meat into meatballs and bake in the oven. Makes a great turkey meatball sub."
"The burgers tasted good and I topped them with diced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese instead. But the patties seemed very wet. I did add breadcrumbs which didn't seem to help. I would make these again and cook them on either a George Foreman grill or in the oven, not an outside grill. The patties seemed to fall apart."
"These are fantastic!! I made them on my George Foreman contact grill. I served them on garlic toast. Sadly, I didn't have any mozzarella cheese on hand to slice; I think mozzarella on top would make them even better (not that they're not great as is)."
"I'm trying to avoid breads, so I just made the patties and warmed up some canned mushrooms with the spaghetti sauce. I even used EXTRA LEAN ground turkey and the spaghetti sauce kept it moist while the seasoning gave it great flavor. I am going to make this one of my healthy staples. thanks"
"These were great! I made garlic cheese toast by broiling sandwich thins in the oven, and used them as the bread to make it a little lighter."
"we topped our burgers with fresh mushrooms sauted with garlic powder, butter and italian seasoning."
"I added a little bit of mozzerella cheese melted on the patties. I didn't have garlic bread so I brushed a little butter and garlic on the buns and toasted them- very yummy!"
"I used Italian seasining instead of the oregano and whole wheat buns instead of Italian bread."
"These are great served on a toasted English Muffin...we LOVE em!"
"Thankyou for posting this recipe as I just bought some ground turkey to try it out!! So, now I have this recipe and one for turkey taco soup!! I am trying to get away from using red meat so much. "
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.