Italian Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 5 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 8 teaspoons grated Romano cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms in oil until tender. Add the water, tomatoes, cheese, bouillon and pesto.
- 2. Place peppers in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Add to mushroom mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cut prosciutto into thin strips; garnish each serving with prosciutto and cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 201 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 609 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.