Italian Tomato Tart Recipe
Give Christmas brunch a taste of Italy with this hearty deep-dish tart. Baked in a pastry crust, the fresh-tasting pie features plenty of Italian sausage, cheese, garlic and basil.
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove to a wire rack; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Reduce heat to 375°.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage mixture into shell.
- 3. Arrange tomatoes over sausage mixture. In a small bowl, combine the basil, mayonnaise, Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley, pepper and remaining mozzarella cheese; spoon over tomatoes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 396 calories, 30g fat (10g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Italian Tomato Tart
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC