- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the pizza sauce, 1/4 cup butter, egg, salt, basil, 2 cups flour and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 15 pieces. Shape each into a 2-in. ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with remaining butter. Yield: 15 rolls.
Originally published as Italian Tomato Rolls in Country Extra September 2008, p51
Reviews for Italian Tomato Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 22, 2012
"My boyfriend was skeptical of these since it said "tomato" in the title, but he LOVED them and has since requested I make them again. Definitely a keeper!"