Italian Tomato Pie Recipe
Perfect for a ladies' luncheon or Sunday brunch, this tomato-topped pie is like quiche but without the eggs. Your guests are sure to enjoy the delicious combination of olives, onions, cheese and herbs. —Arlene Bauernfeind, Appleton, Wisconsin
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each minced fresh basil, oregano and rosemary
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 4 large plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until lightly browned; sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onions into pastry shell; sprinkle with herbs and cheese.
- 3. Top with mushrooms; sprinkle with olives. Arrange tomato slices over top; sprinkle with pepper.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 256 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 600 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Tomato Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC