- 6 medium fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender; set aside. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- Layer half of the mozzarella cheese, onion and tomato in pastry. Top with mushrooms. Layer with remaining mozzarella cheese, onion and tomato. Sprinkle with half of the Parmesan cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cream, mustard and herbs; pour over top. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Tomato Onion Quiche in Spring's Best 2013 2013, p24
Reviews for Italian Tomato Onion Quiche
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2014
"Lots if flavor! Took a bit more time than I expected to put together but it was definitely worth it!"