Italian Tomato Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm tomato juice (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6-3/4 to 7-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the tomato juice, ketchup, Parmesan cheese, sugar, butter, salt, basil, oregano and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 115 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Italian Tomato Bread
"Easy and so tasty. I made grilled mozzarella, avocado, tomato sandwiches using this bread and will definitely make this again."