- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheddar and Parmesan cheeses until melted. Drain macaroni.
- Spread 1 cup cheese sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Layer with half of macaroni, tomatoes and cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Italian Three-Cheese Macaroni
"This is fantastic! I changed nothing, except added chicken. Everyone loved it!"
"I would use stewed tomatoes instead of plain tomatoes."
"It was a great meal!"
"This recipe was very simple to make, and uses ingredients that I always have on hand. I used penne pasta instead of the elbows, I used less mozzarella cheese on top, and sprinkled the breadcrumbs then did a quick spray of nonstick on top. My fiance and I agreed that it was lacking something. If I make it again, I would add more mozzarella cheese on top, maybe use seasoned breadcrumbs, and either add garlic or use diced tomatoes that have a flavor to them. Other than the lack of "something," this recipe was very good. Since it is just the two of us, I decreased it and made it in an 8x8 pan."
"This dish was easy to put together and tasted amazing! Did make a few tweaks though, instead of tomatoes I used green chilies and also added bacon, my husband went back 3 times for more!"
"Made this for my sister and mom over the holidays this past Christmas. Easy to make and very creamy. Spices and tomatoes give it a different flavour to traditional mac and cheese, but still tastes great. A nice change to try once in a while."