- 1 cup warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Italian seasoning, optional
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Shape each portion into a ball; flatten slightly. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg and water; brush over the dough. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning if desired.Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Italian Sweet Bread
"This is one of my family's favorite bread machine recipes. I follow the recipe as written, but always add a bit of kosher salt to the Italian seasoning that I sprinkle on top before baking. This gives it a salty-sweet taste that we really enjoy. For those having issues with the recipe, it may help to use whole milk or a mix of half-and-half and milk. I've done this and noticed that the bread is a bit more dense. Thanks for a great recipe!"
"it was good, but not spectacular. Id make it again because its a pretty basic bread that you can eat with just about anything. Mine wasnt as dense looking as the picture, and I would have liked for mine to look more like the pic. I followed the recipe exactly as posted, so wondering if it was a fluke or if I did something wrong. All in all it was pretty good flavor ;)"
"I have just came across this recipe a couple days ago and it has become a big hit in this house as the whole house here (6) of us love it very much and the boys keep asking for more so I have already made it 2 times and will continue to make it . I have also shared with others as it is too good to keep to ourselves lol. YUM!"
"i have made this twice but its not very thick. not like the picture. love the taste but not the size. what am i doing wrong or is the picture wrong"