Italian Sweet Bread Recipe
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Italian seasoning, optional
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Shape each portion into a ball; flatten slightly. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg and water; brush over the dough. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning if desired.Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Italian Sweet Bread(16)
Sort By :
My whole family loves this recipe, I make it both as oven baked long loaves as well as using my bread machine to cook it. I use it for sandwiches, garlic toast, French toast, as well as for dips & soup as well-it's delicious in every way!!
Love this! I noticed some people have had problems with this recipe. I can tell you mine comes out perfectly every time, but I don't use a bread machine so maybe that's the difference. This bread freezes very well, too.
I have been making this bread for a few years now and we love it! I use regular bread loaf pans instead of the round pans and it turns out perfect every time!
it was good, but not spectacular. Id make it again because its a pretty basic bread that you can eat with just about anything. Mine wasnt as dense looking as the picture, and I would have liked for mine to look more like the pic. I followed the recipe exactly as posted, so wondering if it was a fluke or if I did something wrong. All in all it was pretty good flavor ;)
I have just came across this recipe a couple days ago and it has become a big hit in this house as the whole house here (6) of us love it very much and the boys keep asking for more so I have already made it 2 times and will continue to make it . I have also shared with others as it is too good to keep to ourselves lol. YUM!