This golden brown bread offers satisfying sweetness in every slice. The hearty round loaves rise well and cut beautifully. With an egg wash and a sprinkling of Italian seasoning, the bread looks pretty, too. -Kim Ooms Cottage Grove, Minnesota
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Italian seasoning, optional
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Shape each portion into a ball; flatten slightly. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg and water; brush over the dough. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning if desired.Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Italian Sweet Bread in Taste of Home April/May 2004, p37
Reviews for Italian Sweet Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review