- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until slightly thickened.
- Cut top third off of bread but not all the way through; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. Spread with butter.
- Add meatballs to sauce; heat through. With a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs into the loaf. Sprinkle with cheese; replace bread top. Wrap loaves in foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Warm remaining sauce; serve with sandwiches. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Supper Sandwich in Taste of Home Annual Recipes Annual 2010, p292
Reviews for Italian Supper Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review