Italian Submarine Recipe
"My Italian husband grew up eating this flavorful sandwich his mother use to make after Saturday chores were finished," Christine Lupella relates from Fifty Lakes, Minnesota. Tip: "This sub can easily be made a few hours ahead and refrigerated, then served with chips, veggies and dip for a delicious meal," remarks Christine.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 15 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1. Cut bread in half lengthwise. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush oil over cut sides of bread.
- 2. Combine the Parmesan cheese and oregano; sprinkle over bread. On the bottom half, layer the tomato, ham, provolone and salami. Replace bread top. Cut into four slices. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 683 calories, 32 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 2,300 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 36 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC