Italian Sub Sandwiches Recipe
I serve these sandwiches for a special party treat. The red and green peppers add color along with flavor.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 submarine sandwich buns (about 10 inches), split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat just until no longer pink; drain. Add the onions, peppers and garlic. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and oregano. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until tomatoes are cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2. Meanwhile, hollow out bottom of roll, leaving 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use). Toast rolls. Fill with sausage mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC