- 1-1/2 pounds Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 submarine sandwich buns (about 10 inches), split
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat just until no longer pink; drain. Add the onions, peppers and garlic. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and oregano. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until tomatoes are cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, hollow out bottom of each roll, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Toast rolls. Fill with sausage mixture.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sub Sandwiches in Country June/July 2004, p51
Reviews for Italian Sub Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2010
"My DH says these are the best Italian subs. He admonished me to never lose this recipe!"