This recipe is very easy to prepare, and is made even easier when it simmers in a slow cooker. The turkey comes out tender and the veggies add a mix of color and heartiness.—Gilda Lester, Milsboro, Delaware
- 4 turkey thighs (about 3 pounds), skin removed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped, fronds reserved
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tubes (18 ounces each) polenta, each cut into 5 slices
- Sprinkle turkey thighs with salt and pepper. In a 6-qt stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown thighs on all sides in batches. Remove from pan. In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, fennel and mushrooms; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, tomato paste and Italian seasoning; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; stir in tomatoes.
- Transfer turkey and vegetable mixture to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 4-6 hours or until meat is tender. Remove turkey from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Keep meat warm.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Brush polenta slices with remaining olive oil. Place slices 1/2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway though baking. Meanwhile, mince reserved fennel fronds. To serve, top polenta with turkey and sauce; sprinkle with minced fennel. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Italian-Style Turkey with Polenta in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p30
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Italian-Style Turkey with Polenta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review