Italian-Style Pork Chops
An Italian-style version of pork chops was one of the first recipes I tried making in the early years of my marriage. I've changed it over the years to be healthier by reducing added oil and fat, and by adding in some vegetables. It works well served over hot rice. —Traci Hoppes, Spring Valley, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (3-1/2 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon oil
- until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Sprinkle chops with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In the
- same skillet, brown chops in remaining oil. Add the marinara sauce,
- olives, remaining salt and pepper and reserved pepper mixture. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until
- a thermometer reads 145°. Let stand for 5 minutes before
- serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pork chop with 3/4 cup sauce equals 397 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 930 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot