- 1 slice bread, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 package (2-1/2 ounces) sliced dried beef
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Process bread in a blender or food processor until fine crumbs form; transfer to a bowl. In same blender, combine the egg, water, onion, celery, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Stir into the bread crumbs. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a 16-in. x 12-in. piece of waxed paper, shape meat mixture into an 11-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Top with the dried beef and cheese to within 1/2 in. of edge. Roll up jelly-roll style,starting with a short side; pinch to seal edges.
- Place seam side down in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Style Meat Roll
Sort By :
"This was fantastic, though I did make some small changes. I replaced half of the water with worcestershire sauce, the mozzarella with an Italian blend cheese, and added some garlic. It was a big hit."
"This was really good except that I used bacon in place of the ham. It was fantastic."