Italian-Style Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrot; cook and stir until crisp-tender.
- 2. Stir in lentils, parsley, bouillon, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar and salt; heat through. Serve with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 122 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Reviews for Italian-Style Lentil Soup
"Really great flavor! Plan to make again!"
"This is one of the better lentil soups I have ever had. It was so easy to make and super cheap to make because I already had many of the ingredients on hand. It is hearty, healthy, and low fat. Very satisfying."
"First time making lentil soup, excellent recipe, I added a couple cloves of garlic and a little bit of tyme."
"This was my first time cooking with lentils and I really enjoyed this soup and will make it again!!"
"Yes I've made it multiple times and have given containers of it to family and friends. They loved it!!!!"
"Tasty, simple to make, nutritious!"
"This soup is wonderful and is a nice low-calorie lunch!"