Italian-Style Lentil Soup Recipe
“I like to serve lentils often because they are inexpensive and nutritious. I sometimes add them to my homemade spaghetti sauce and serve over noodles.” Rachel Keller - Roanoke, Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute the onions, celery and carrot in oil until almost tender. Stir in the water, lentils, parsley, bouillon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar and salt; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 122 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 420 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC